Schedule A Consultation


Getting your license back after a DWI

You see those flashing lights in your rear-view mirror and know its trouble. The officer who pulls you over administers a field sobriety test and finds you just over the legal limit. They take you to the police station and let you know that your driver’s license is suspended. What do you do now?

Call a Lawyer

The first step you should take any time you find yourself in legal trouble is to contact an attorney. Find someone that you trust and is experienced in the area of law you need help with, in this case DWIs. They will be able to talk you through the next steps of dealing with a DWI.

Working with a legal professional in your case is important, especially if this is not your first offense. A lawyer will help you properly file all appeals and paperwork, and advocate for you in Court.

Request a Hearing

Law enforcement will take your driver’s license and issue a suspension notice. You will likely be given a temporary driving permit. In Texas, you have 15 days after you receive the suspension notice to request a hearing to get your license back. If you don’t do this, your license will be suspended after 40 days.

To request a hearing, you should contact our office within 15 days of your arrest. You may also be able to fill out the request form by mail, phone, fax, or online. Once you do this, the Court will schedule your hearing within 120 days.

Hire a Lawyer that Prepares for the Hearing

It’s essential that your attorney prepare for your Administrative License Revocation (ALR) hearing no different than a trial. The State Office of Administrative Hearings (SOAH) will conduct the hearing. There, both parties will present all evidence, and an Administrative Law Judge will make the final decision.

The window for saving your driver’s license is small. If you are accused of Driving While Intoxicated, you need to make sure you are acting within the proper time frame.